Monday, May 2, 2011

USA! USA!

Last night, my boyfriend and I were sitting on the couch watching the Mets-Phillies game, in two totally different states of  mind. I was seething that I hate my team, how could they give up a run, and he was hoping his team (that team, the first place team, who could afford one loss to my last place team) would finally get some hits and pull ahead for the sweep, when the fans started cheering "USA! USA!" And then the ESPN announcers explained, Osama bin Laden is dead.

Suddenly, the outcome of the game didn't matter anymore. I didn't care that the Mets had lost the lead, left so many men on base I couldn't count and were on the verge of being swept by Philadelphia.

I grabbed my phone, and immediately tried to facebook my brother, and it was already posted on his status, and people were liking it, and commenting. The ESPN guys (who never get anything right about baseball) were right! bin Laden was dead!


We debated for about 10 minutes, do we wake my parents, do we let them sleep. My dad, a normally funny, easy going, all around nice guy may possibly be the scariest person in America to wake up. I'd even venture in the world! I finally snuck into their room and whispered "Hey guys, ummmm, I just wanted to let you know Obama is going to address the country - they killed bin Laden."

I've never seen two people leap from their beds so fast. Not even the time my brother and I set the microwave on fire...

We sat and watched as our President explained how Navy Seals dropped into his compound, and shot him, then took his body so we could prove it.

Thank you, to those Navy Seals, and to all of our military troops.

God Bless America

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...