Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Cake

I love to bake. Sunday night, I wanted to bake something, cookies are always my favorite to make, and I was craving white chocolate chip macadamia nut, but AJ's wisdom teeth are coming in and he can barely eat. I have a favorite recipe for coffee cake that calls for a boxed vanilla cake that is so super soft and delicious, so I decided that would be perfect!

Now, you need to know that I do not bake cake from scratch. I don't see the point, and I've never been very good at it. But we didn't have boxed vanilla cake mix, and no one wanted to run to the store. I did however, have a recipe. A recipe that made a very large vanilla cake.

But this is no big deal! I can half it!

I'm not sure what part of my brain had this thought. Maybe I was high on the Mets leading the Phillies, and decided if they can do that, I can do this!

The batter was delicious! (Shhhh, don't tell my mom I tried the batter...she thinks I'll get salmonella poisoning).

The cake went in the oven, and I mixed up the crumb topping...with twice the amount of sugar that I was supposed to use. What was I thinking???

So I remixed the crumb topping.

And I put it on the cake.

That's weird, I don't think the edges of the cake are supposed to be bubbling like that...

Then, I took the cake from the oven. It smelled amazing. It looked amazing. The toothpick inserted through the crumb topping into the cake came out clean. It was done!

We let it sit, and I finally cut into the cake

That's odd, why did the whole middle cave in like that???

I wish I took pictures for you. The edges were burnt black, the middle was so undercooked it oozed out like soup. The whole top of the cake caved in like a dilapidated volcano.

Why didn't I just go out and buy the boxed cake???

*I swear, I really am good at baking! When this cake is done right, it is fabulous! And I don't even LIKE cake!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...